Google+ WTN Haiti Partnership: News from Lee Warren with Stop Hunger Now

Nov 2013 - St. Vincent's Trip

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

News from Lee Warren with Stop Hunger Now

Thank goodness there is no difficulty getting on-line.  Here are this morning’s updates:
• Arrived safely after pit stopping in a tiny island in the Bahamas to refuel.
• Cap Haitian seems like a calm, small version of PAP – less congested, less everything, but still typical Haiti – smelly, dirty, people and garbage in the streets. The view from my hotel is of the ocean and port. Lovely.
• Yesterday I traveled 1.5 hr into the country to visit The Haiti Mission (a small clinic) and The Robert Ford Orphanage. The Orphanage is where our food will be shipped. I took pictures of a huge, secure warehouse and another building where they can secure the food. It is acceptable. The children are precious – as always.
• Haiti has had 25 days of rain so the road to this area was rough and through huge pot holes and pools in the road.  It’s long and hard.  An early bedtime and Haitian coffee is essential to survive the week.

• The group I came down with is not working at the clinic today, but preparing for that. I’m not needed so. . .
• Today I travel back into the country with another group who is here, which includes the pastor of Lynnhaven UMC who is down here trying to arrange secure distribution for the container of food that churches in his area intend to package for SHN.  It’s quite coincidental that I’m here the same time. They have the request forms for our food with this and together we’ll review that form.  I’d say you can’t ask for a better assessment than having a SHN staffer on site.  How the heck did that manage that?  Your theology will determine the answer.
• My group will head back up the 1.5 hour bumpy road tomorrow to begin work in a tee-tiny clinic. I believe that’s when I’ll get my workout.
• Some of the people here with the Lynnhaven pastor will build 3 playgrounds before we leave, one at the Robert Ford orphanage, one at the bottom of the hill from our hotel, and then another. I can’t wait to see that happen.
• It’s not raining today and not too warm – yet. A nice Sunday.
• Buses are beginning to bring people in from PAP. Cap Haitian will get busier and fuller and more stressful in the weeks ahead. Right now I’m removed from that. One of our group even went jogging this morning. In other words, it’s safe-ER here than PAP.
• Many folks want to use my computer, so I’ll touch base later.


Love and blessings for all.  And once again, I’m sooooo grateful to work for a fabulous organization that has permitted my life to be serving in this place in this time.
Lee


Lee Warren works with Stop Hunger Now
and helped organize the Holy Communion
food packaging event. She is now working
at a clinic inside Haiti.


No comments:

Post a Comment